Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ngo Hiang

Pardon my recent slack in posting....Sigh, I have become so attached to my D40 (which I left in NC) that I simply do not have the mood to take any food pics. Somehow I don't seem to like any of my pics taken from my compact point & shoot anymore...

Anyway made these a few days back and coming from a half Peranakan family this is a staple side dish in our family. The unique thing about Ngo Hiang is that every family has their own recipe... And this is my family's recipe:

What you need:
500gm minced pork (preferably not lean)
10 prawns, deveined and sliced
8 water chestnut, cubed finely
A few spigs spring onion, finely sliced
1 carrot, shredded
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small pork liver, finely cubed (optional)
2 pcs of "soda" biscuit (I use Danone crackers), finely crushed
1 packet of Ngo Hiang wrapper (you may want to wipe the wrapper with damp cloth before wrapping as some Ngo Hiang wrapper can be very salty)
Seasoning
1 small egg
3 tbsp of light soya sauce
1 tsp of sugar
1 tbsp of Five Spice powder
1 tbsp of white pepper
1 tbsp of sesame oil

What to Do:
1. Mix all the seaonsing together in a small bowl ( I find it easier this way so that I get a even mixing of the wet seasoning

2. Mix everything (except the Ngo Hiang wrapper) together and leave it in the fridge for at least one hr

3. Cut the Ngo Hiang wrapper to desired size and scoop the meat mixture onto the wrapper and roll it up. You can use a bit of cornstarch water to seal the corners

4. Put the Ngo Hiang rolls into a steamer and steam it for about 10 mins

5. Deep fry the Ngo Hiang until golden brown and serve with sweet dark sauce.

P/S: You can skip the steaming part if you are making small Ngo Hiang but I usually steam mine as I will only deep fry about 4 Ngo Hiang each time. I keep the rest in the fridge or freezer for later use.
This recipe yield about 13 medium Ngo Hiang.

No comments: