Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ah Balling

Don't ask me why this is called Ah Balling, when I first heard the name from my Mum when I was a teenager I thought she was pulling my leg....until I saw the signboard from the stall in Beach Road Hawker Centre. But I love it!!

It is basically Tang Yuan (glutinous rice balls) with fillings inside such as black sesame, peanut, red bean and even yam.

All Singaporeans know that Beach Road Hawker Centre is also known as Army market; the first 2 levels are food centre but the third floor are lined with shops that sell military goods. It's a place for young men who are serving National Service (mandatory in S'pore) to go almost every weekend after they "booked out" so that they can replenish their army supplies before they have to " book in" at 2359hrs on Sundays... That's where Hub and I used to go every Saturday when we were dating and when he was doing his BMT (Basic Military Training)...that was so many years ago : )

Still we used to eat this every Saturday while we were there...thus it is kind of 'our dessert' ; P
Made this last night for Hub, he loves it...

Here's the recipe for the soup:

What you need

1 cup raw skinless peanut
1 cup sugar (adjust to your liking)
2 pandan leaves, knotted
About 1.5l of water
Your favourite frozen dumplings

What to do

1. Put all ingredients (except dumplings) into a saucepan or slow cooker and boil till peanuts are soft....about 2 hours
2. Once the peanuts soup is done, boil dumplings in a boiling water (in a separate saucepan) according to instructions on the package
3. Assemble and serve!

No comments: