This has been on my to-do list for more than a year now, I somehow got this recipe from the internet couple of years ago but I can't remember the source. I twit it a little and it's really yummy ; )
I do not have to worry that I will not able able to eat Bak Kwa when I am overseas now!!!
For my foreign friends, Bak Kwa is pretty much like pork jerky except that it is sweet (kinda like honey pork jerky) and it is a must have during the Chinese New Year, as a gift to your parents, in-laws or clients whom you respect. And not to mention the long queue just weeks before the New Year, expect to queue up to 5 hrs a week before New Year and the price goes up a few weeks before New Year...
I managed to make 2 batches out of 1 kg of minced pork, but that only yields about 15 irregular pieces ; ( Have to make more next time!
Here's the recipe:
What you need:
About 1 kg of pork (use the fatty minced about 20-30% fats)
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp rose wine or chinese rice wine
1 tbsp cooking oil (unless you are using really fatty mince)
salt and pepper
What to do:
1. Mix all the ingredients together evenly (use your hands!)
2. Preheat oven to 175F
2. Line your work surface with aluminium foil (unless you don't mind cleaning the surface)
3. Spread the meat mixture between 2 sheets of parchment papers and flatten it using a rolling pin. Not too thin though(mine was a bit too thin)
4. Pop it into the oven (foil and all) and bake for 15 mins
5. Remove from oven, and peel off the parchment paper carefully. Increase oven heat to 375F
6. Cut into desired size (I use a pizza cutter) and line the slices onto a tray. Pop in into the oven for another 10 mins
7. Turn the slices over and change oven setting to Broiler mode, broil on Hi for about 5 mins or until brown. Stay by the oven as it browns really fast!!
If you are going to grill it on a open grill, you can grill it after peeling off the parchment paper. I guess it will taste better if you grill it but somehow broiling it gives it the "char" look too.