Friday, May 28, 2010

Chinese Radish Cake

I like soft,steamed radish cake with lots of toppings whereas Hub loves his radish cake firm, fried. So I came up with my own recipe for a in-between texture ; )
I like to make my own radish cake because I can add all my favorite; mushrooms, scallops, carrot & shrimps And I can omit things that I don't really like such as Chinese sausage!
The top picture is the how I like my radish cake and the one below is for Hub which I will pan fry them tomorrow...

Here's my recipe,

What You Need
1 daikon radish (abt 500g), shredded/squeezed & keep water
3 carrots, shredded
4 dried shitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
6 dried scallops, soaked/shredded/divide into 2 portions & keep water
3 tbsp dried shrimps, soaked and chopped. Keep water
3 shallots, sliced thinly
250g rice flour
50g corn starch

Seasoning
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Topping
1 portion of shredded scallop from above
4 tbsp of dried shrimp shells (you can get this from Asian or Korean market)
1 thumb ginger, minced
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
Spring onion, sliced thinly
Red chillies, sliced thinly

What To Do
1. Mix all the soaking water to get 400ml of liquid (top up with water if not enough)
2. Add liquid to rice flour and corn starch. Mix well, make sure there's no lumps of flour.
3. Fry shallots in 1 tbsp oil till medium brown
4. Add shrimps, 1 portion of scallop & mushroom. Fry for 2 mins
5. Add radish & carrot. Add seasoning. Fry till soft
6. Add flour mixture. Switch off fire
7. Stir till well mixed and thicken
8. Transfer mixture into a 9" tray and steam for 45mins
9. Meanwhile, fry ginger in 2 tbsp of oil till brown
10. Add scallop, shrimp shell. Add dark soy sauce. Fry till all is brown
11. Serve radish cake with toppings, chillies and spring onion or slice it and pan fry it ; ))

NOTE: The orange tinge is from the carrots. If you want your radish cake more whitish, you can replace it with more radish. You can use ready made shallots too.

No comments: