Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chocolate Angel Food Cake


Baked this today, am tired of making pandan chiffon so I thought I will try this out. I got this recipe from here, it's a Martha Stewart clip. Another reason I made this is for my son, this is a yolk-free/oil-free recipe. To be honest on a scale of 1-10, I give it a 4. Don't get me wrong, it's a ok recipe....but I prefer my chocolate cake dense and full of chocolate flavor. On comparison, this is light and you can hardly taste or smell the chocolate. Like I mentioned before, I am very particular about cakes coz it is my all time favorite dessert ; ))
Anyway, here's the recipe if you like light cakes...

Ingredients
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • Scant 1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 ounce, semisweet chocolate, grated (about 1/2 cup)
  • 12 large egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
  • Chocolate Hazelnut Anglaise (recipe follows)
Baking Directions

Preheat oven to 350° with rack in center. Sift together onto a piece of parchment paper, 3/4 cup sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add grated chocolate; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. With machine running, add remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a slow steady stream, beating until fully incorporated, and stiff glossy peaks form. Add vanilla and almond extracts; beat to combine.

Remove from mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, gently but thoroughly, folding into egg white mixture until fully combined. Pour into a 10-inch non-stick angel food cake pan. Tap pan on counter to remove any air bubbles. Bake until cake springs back when depressed with a finger, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool, inverted, 1 hour before removing pan.

No comments: