Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Snowskin Mooncakes

Being far from home makes me miss my family more especially during festive season. And this year I decided to make some mooncakes to ease the longing....
What You Need:
150 koh fun (which I can't find in where I stay, I dry fry 150g glutinous rice flour instead)
150g icing sugar
50g shortening
2 drops pandan paste
180ml ice water

Filling:
600g lotus paste
melon seeds (optional)

What to Do:
  1. Divide lotus paste into 30g balls and set aside
  2. Fry glutionous rice flour for about 5mins. Set aside
  3. Sieve icing sugar and glutinous rice flour into a big bowl
  4. Add pandan paste into water (to get a even colour)
  5. Add shortening to the flour mixture, mix well. Add water a bit at a time. Stop when you manage to form a soft dough.
  6. Divide dough into 25g ball. Flat it
  7. Place lotus paste ball onto the dough and cover it with dough
  8. Flour the mooncake mold and gently push the unformed mooncake (from 7) into mold
  9. Press mold firmly and push mooncake out...
A good mooncake is said to have a ratio of 40% skin weight and 60% filling weight...I think a good mooncake is made with LOVE ; )) What do you think?

No comments: