Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Canned Pineapple Tarts

Tried making these pineapple tarts a few weeks back, can you guess I actually made the jam from canned pineapples!! Came across this recipe from Fresh from the Oven and decided to give it a try. As usual, I modified the recipe by adding cinnamon sticks and a bit of cloves. And I use pastry recipe from elsewhere….
I wanted to make ‘open-top pineapple tarts’ but ended up with pineapple balls instead as my dough was a bit to wet and it kept sticking to the cutter. It is easier to roll the jam into small balls and wrap it up with the dough.

Can’t say I like these pineapple tarts, I mean it’s buttery but somehow something’s lacking…..Maybe it’s the sourish bite that you can only get from fresh pineapples or it's just because I dislike 'cover-up' pineapple tarts.....
Actually, it tasted like the Taiwanese pineapple tarts instead of the traditional Nyonya pineapple tarts you eat during Chinese New Year. So if you like the Taiwanese "Feng Li Su" you can give this a try ; )

No comments: