Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Singapore Chilli Crab Recipe

Before I type in the recipe, I must give credit to the lady at NTUC Finest who took great pride in cleaning and chopping up my live crabs. I bought 2 Sri Lankan Crabs since it's in season and they are huge!

Went to my usual seafood wholesale shop at Clementi Rd but found that the building was demolished!! We lost our trusted seafood seller....Sob....If you happen to know where they have moved to, do let me know....Or if you know any shops that sell fresh seafood, do let me know. I heard there's a wholesaler shop in Geylang but Happy Belly doesn't have the address...

In the end Hub and I drove to Bukit Timah Plaza and bought our crabs from there. The lady helped us killed the crabs, cracked the pincers and even packed it nicely in a tray. We paid about $40 for 2 crabs...A bit costly but it will probably cost us $80 if we eat it in Chinese restaurants.
Here's the recipe:

What you need:
1.5 kg crabs, cleaned and chopped (preferably Sri Lankan crabs)
About 15 shallots
1 thumb ginger
About 3 cloves of garlic
1/2 can diced tomatoes
500ml water
1 egg, beaten

Seasoning:
10 tbs of ketchup
3 tbs chilli sauce
1 tbs black vinegar
1 tbs light soya sauce
1/4 ikan bilis cube

Method:

1. Pound ginger, garlic and shallots into smooth paste
2. Heat up 3 tbs of oil, add in the paste and chilli sauce. Fry till fragrant
3. Add in the crabs and half of the seasoning, fry for 2 mins. Add in the rest of the seasoning, diced tomatoes and water.
4. Cover the wok, do not open for 15 mins.
5. Stir and add in the egg.
6. Serve with rice or baguette.

Note:
You can use mud crabs for this dish, I have cooked this dish many times and this is the 1st time I use Sri Lankan crabs. Trust me, it's the crabs that make the difference ; p

No comments: