Ok back to why the lack of photos....Hub came home last week announcing that he invited one more colleague home for dinner and they were all very hungry that day....Luckily I made extra portion that day coz I thought I could freeze the seasoned mince for another day.
By the time I finished frying the last batch of patties, the boys were starved and I couldn't possibly have the time to arrange my patties for a good photo shoot....I am sure they will not allow that....Anyway here's the recipe with a bit of modifications....Heh, you know me....
(modified from The Quick & Easy Japanese Cookbook by Katsuyo Kobayashi)
500grams ground beef
black pepper to taste
1 onion (modified)
oil for frying onion
1 cup panko
5 tbsp ketchup (modified)
1 tbsp sake (I used mirin)
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (modified)
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar (not in recipe)
1 1/2 cup water
1 tbsp butter
1 cup button mushrooms, sliced thinly(not in recipe)
2 carrot, chopped finely (not in recipe)
- Season beef with salt and pepper, set aside
- Chop onion finely and saute in oil until transparent, add in carrots and fry for another 5 mins. Set mixture aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine egg, milk and panko. Mix briefly for the panko to soak the liquid
- Add onion mixture and panko mixture to the beef and mix well
- Divide the meat mixture into balls (abt golf ball size), flat it a little in the centre
- Heat up the butter in the saucepan and fry the patties till brown, turn the patties to the other side
- Add boiling water till it's fill up to half-cover the patties, turn to low heat and cook till the water evaporates
- To make the sauce, add butter to the same pan after you have finished frying all the patties; saute mushroom, add ketchup,sake, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and water and bring to a boil. Simmer until slighly thicken and pour sauce over hamburgers.
2. I added chopped carrots to make it healthier and also sweeter. Oh and mushroom too...
3. I use a small saucepan to make the sauce instead of waiting till all the patties are done.
Verdict: The boys wolfed down all the patties and rice and the only words they say throughout dinner is "Nice, nice". Even T forgot about his dieting that day ; ) I made 8 patties from the above recipe, Hub told me after dinner that he wants 4 patties the next time.....Will definitely make this again and will take a few pictures...